Coronavirus: what the Wigginton Shop is doing
Sorry, this is a long read about how we can all spread some Corona Kindness
As the Coronavirus situation deepens, it is likely that more people in our community will need to self isolate. This means that people are going to need help as they won’t be able to leave the house. At times like this, we need to pull together and help each other. Here are some changes we are making, which may evolve as further announcements are made:
From Monday 23rd March, we are introducing a delivery service for people self isolating – we will accept card payments over the phone (preferred) and cheques upon delivery. We are currently developing the ordering process, so please bear with us as this is an entirely new service that will rely on a brilliant group of local volunteers that want to help their neighbours
In recognition that we will inevitably have less volunteers we are changing our:
- Opening hours – as of today we will operate the following hours: Monday to Saturday 8-4pm and Sunday 8:30-1pm. Hot drinks and hot food will stop being served an hour before we close.
- Café offer – from today, we will have a smaller menu of light bites to choose from; and have fewer seats in the shop to ensure that there is distance between people if they choose to drink/eat in, we also have our outdoor seating if people prefer.
- We will only use recyclable cups, plates and cutlery from tomorrow. This is to increase our hygiene standards and protect both our volunteers and customers. It of course means that it is easy for all food and drink to be taken away
Can you help us?
This is a call to arms to our community to ask for your help. We need people to volunteer for a variety of roles – if you can help, please get in touch with Sally by email email@example.com
Fast track volunteer training opportunities
^^Can you volunteer in the village shop so that we can cover the shifts normally worked by those that find themselves having to self isolate? If you are interested in volunteering in this way, please let Sally know. She has set up fast track induction sessions (dates below). If none of these dates work for you, please don’t let it stop you. Get in touch anyway as we need you!**
- Thursday 19th 9-10
- Monday 23rd 3:30 – 4:30
- Tuesday 24th 9-10
**Can you help with the shop deliveries to people self isolating who can’t get out? Please let us know so we can contact you if we need to.**
**The Parish Council will also be requesting that people get in touch to volunteer to be ‘Neighbourhood Champions’ – this role means being there to support your self isolating neighbours e.g. getting shopping from the shop/supermarket. prescriptions. There is a village plan that coming together.**
We just want to let you know that we are doing all that we can to prevent the spread of Coronavirus in the shop
We’re following Public Health England’s advice – hand washing, cough into the crook of your elbow or a tissue, don’t touch your face
- We are sanitising surfaces regularly including the payment machine keypad and door handles
- We are asking for card payments where possible to minimise handling money
- We are reducing the number of covers in the café to introduce social distance
- We will use recyclable cups, plates and cutlery to reduce risk further
- We ask that if you are showing any symptoms, that you don’t visit the shop and follow the government’s advice to self isolate